September 11, 2005

A Day That Will Live in Infamy

Today is the fourth anniversary of one of the most horrific events to occur on American soil during my lifetime.

September 11th used to be a day not worth remembering for any particular reason. I don't know anyone who was born that day and it's never been an anniversary date for me. Now it is an anniversary date for Americans, not unlike December 7th. I will never forget.

I will do nothing to commemorate this day, except have it hovering in the back of my mind as I go about the activities of my day. It won't make me feel that this war is justified, or that revenge is the best deterrent against terrorism. Mostly, I will just feel sad. Sad for those who lost loved ones, sad for the survivors who are still struggling to piece together their lives, emotionally and economically. Sad for America, that we no longer have the freedom from fear in our own country. Sad for humanity, that the strongest, most influential and powerful nation on earth has yet to examine the contribution it made to bring this horrific event upon itself. Sad for all Muslims throughout the world who now bear the burden of the rageful actions of so few of them. It's just sad.

I look forward to hearing His Holiness The XIVth Dalai Lama on the Larry King Show on CNN this evening. I think his appearance today is purposeful and I hope people watching can hear his message of healing and compassion.

No comments: