September 12, 2005

Another Monday

Just another Monday. Nothing special on my agenda today. Work, household chores, reading, meals, time with my animals, Frankye, chanting, tv watching, and more sleep. A whole day described in a sentence.

I watched H.H. Dalai Lama on CNN yesterday. At 4 p.m., CNN showed some of his presentation from the event in Sun Valley, Idaho live. But they only showed about 15 minutes. It was very good. I wonder though, when people who have not been exposed to Buddhism hear him if they understand what he is talking about or if they think he is being vague and aloof. I don't remember what it was like to not understand, I only know that I understand more now. I have a context within which I can hear what he is saying.

His message was clearly about compassion and geared toward the grief associated with both the anniversary of 9/11 and the Hurricane Katrina aftermath. While he was very expressive about the difficulty of watching such suffering or suffering so much one's self, he was also very clear about moving on and not dwelling on the grief. Not getting lost in the grief and sorrow.

A quote from his television appearance yesterday on This Week with George Stephanopulis:

This Week with George Stephanopoulis, September 11, 2005:
Our voice this week, the Dalai Lama. As we continue to recover from Hurricane Katrina, the spiritual leader for Buddhists all over the world has come here to offer Americans words of healing and compassion. Ten thousand people are expected in Sun Valley to hear the Dalai Lama's speech today, which will be broadcast worldwide.


The Dalai Lama: "When we are passing through a really difficult period, it is very important to try to keep calm, cool. Sometimes on the top of sadness, sometimes frustrations, anger… So try to keep your mind calm, and then, then most important, should not lose hope and optimism. That's important. We must keep our determination, our self confidence and look at more wider perspective. I think worldwide response, I think this is a sign of, I think, human compassion, human sense of concern. It's, I think good, in difficult experiences, as humans, I believe, become … more compassionate, at least when another human brother or sister is passing through difficulties. In our blood the seed of compassion is there, because we are a social animal. … One individual, above individual. His or her success, or happy life entirely depends on others. There is saying in Tibetan "Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength." I think, generally, where there's challenge we have the capacity to combat that challenge, I think, instead of sad or hopeless pessimism. When challenge is there, we must keep our determination, we must welcome that. That's important."

His Holiness' appearance on Larry King was disappointing. There were a number of guests, all via satellite from different locations and His Holiness was being asked questions about comments others were making, by listening to a speaker in his ear. He needed to rely on translation first before he could answer and he did not come off very clear. I had hoped it would be a one-on-one interview with Larry King at his studio. But it was a pleasure to see him. He must have been tired. He had a very long day yesterday.

From a caller on Larry King Live

CALLER: I'm a Buddhist nun in the Detroit area of course and I wanted to ask the Dalai Lama, I'm under one of his lineages, the Nyingma lineage, besides my regular daily practice in meditation what would he suggest as an additional daily practice for me to do for those who are suffering because of Katrina? KING: Do you understand that Your Holiness?

DALAI LAMA: I believe the practice of meditation on compassion these things are something like charging a battery, so now the real purpose is implement into action to transform into action. So I think this kind of situation is I think a fine opportunity to carry act of compassion and by nature meditation is something like recharge. When you feel tired and some, even little sort of hesitation, meditate on compassion.

KING: Sound idea.

DALAI LAMA: That gives you more willingness and then implement, transform into action.

It was a rare treat to see His Holiness on television live. I'm sure the rest of his trip will be wonderful. I look forward to the day when I can attend one of his teachings.

Photo of His Holiness Dalai Lama from CNN.com

No comments: