January 17, 2007

Post Atlanta

I had a wonderful time in Atlanta with Clio. It felt so good to be with her. I've missed her and really got in touch with that when I was with her. It's been so long since she and I have spent quality time together. I really wish we lived in the same city. But she is not likely to move to Jacksonville, and I am just as unlikely (if not more) to move to a city as big as Atlanta.

I have to tell you about a most incredible meal I had while in Atlanta. Food is important in my life and good food is a treat to be enjoyed, reminisced and remembered. Two good friends of Clio's, Peggy Jean and Leslie, invited us to dinner Saturday night. Clio's other friends, Peter and Francois, invited the dinner party to their house. Peggy Jean bought and cooked the meal, and Peter and Francois hosted it.

First, I have to say that Peter and Francois have a really nice home. I don't know what part of Atlanta it is in, so don't ask. The house has beautifully painted colorful walls, with restored wood features. The furniture is comfortable and big, and the ambience of the home reeks of comfort and welcome. The kitchen is open with a center island and beautiful appliances. The kitchen, dining room and living room flow into one another like in a loft. The floors are hard wood and beautifully done. The kitchen ceiling is also light hard wood. It was an incredibly comfortable environment to be in.

Peggy Jean, with some support from Peter, prepared the meal. What a meal it was! I am just going to list the menu:


broiled seasoned lamb served sliced and rare
spiced turkey sausage with no casing
roast pork sliced
baked perch and tilopia served in a delicious sauce
baked salmon steak
baked tuna steak
steamed and buttered green beans with feta cheese
boiled russet potatoes with butter and spices
roast bread with butter and garlic
wine
fresh cherry compote
pound cake
apple pie
Vanilla, dulce de leche, and chocolate Haagen-Dazs
cool whip


It was a feast. Everything was so delicious that I wished I could eat more than I was able. It was wonderful! And so was the company. In the hours we spent together we talked about our families, our histories of how we knew one another, retold funny anecdotes and jokes, laughed a lot, and just had a really wonderful evening. I feel so good that Clio has this group of friends in Atlanta. While I know she is lonely for a relationship and someone to share her life in an intimate way, I'm glad she has bright, interesting, caring friends to spend time with.

The other things we did included going to eat Indian food together and then spending time at Borders, eating out at a local pizzeria with Peggy Jean and Leslie, hanging out and watching movies together at home, going to look at an apartment for Clio together, fitting in a nap each day, talking, talking, talking, and just enjoying one another. We spent a little time at Peggy Jean and Leslie's apt and I got to see Peggy Jean's artwork. It is very unique, witty, funny and creative. We fit a lot in but we also had too little time together. It just went so quickly.

I want to see Clio more frequently. It only took 5 1/2 hours to drive up and it was worth every mile of it. I consider, and have considered, Clio my daughter (step-daughter but I couldn't love her more if I had birthed her) but I didn't know that she considered me her parent. When she said that to me it just felt so good. I felt as though I had actually contributed something to the world. Clio is truly a gift in my life and I am so proud of her. It was a good, good trip.

No comments: