January 13, 2007

LIVE!!!!! from Atlanta - it's Saturday

morning!

Before I get into Atlanta and Clio, I want to recount an experience I had yesterday. I stationed myself in Macclenny so I would be halfway to I-75 when I got off work. In the course of my shuttling between centers in Macclenny I was temporarily postponed by the annual MLK Day parade.

I've been to many parades in my life: St.Patrick's Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Gay Day in 1/2 dozen cities, Mardi Gras parades, but I had never been to a country parade.

The size of the parade underwhelmed me. It consisted of the following: every Baker County owned vehicle including the fire engines, police, sheriff, EMT, water administation, NE FL telephone co., etc, sirens blaring if they had them. Music was supplied by the Baker County High School band in full marching velvet uniforms; though from what I saw and heard only the drummers knew how to play their instruments. There was another band that didn't even beat their drums. They had no uniforms or identifying sashes but by their ages they seemed to be intermediate school age. The elementary school provided a contingent from the "Just Say No" club.

There was a limo but the persons they were driving (windows up, a/c on, windows tinted) were not identified in any way. There was a wagon load of City Commissioners, followed by another wagon load of County Commissioners. There were several vans filled with elderly black people, a xeroxed photo of MLK taped to the sides of the van. There was a school bus from the local Baptist Church with two ladies and a driver practicing their Queen Elizabeth wave. There were six antique cars in the procession, in age order, the oldest, a model T, first, next a 1936 Chevrolet. The drivers declined in age as the vehicles did. I got the impression these were original owners. After the antique cars came the Black motorcycle club on their rice burners. Not a Harley to be found anywhere.

After all the VIPs came the best part of the parade. The one float in the parade that truly signifies the commitment of the community to honor Dr. King: On a long flatbed truck pulled by a huge Mac truck cab was the biggest John Deere tractor I had ever seen! Sitting proudly atop the seat of the tractor was a man dressed as Smokey the Bear, waving wildly to all six of us watching the parade.

Afterwards, I asked a co-worker why the parade was held on Friday and not Monday, the actual holiday. She said the county would have to pay time and half to get county workers to drive those vehicles in the parade. Friday is cheaper. And there it was. My first country parade.

I arrived safely in Atlanta and was absolutely thrilled to see Clio. Upon arrival we immediately went to a restaurant to pick up a pizza Clio had ordered in advance. En route she received a phone call from friends and we decided to meet them at the restaurant and stay in and eat our pizza. I met Clio's best friends and enjoyed our time together. I was surprised at how much they knew about me and that Clio had obviously mentioned me on at least one occassion. I liked her friends a lot and would easily include them in my social circle if I lived in the area.

Afterwards, we wnt to Clio's home. She lives on the second floor and that was a bit of a challenge but it's a short flight and I arrived in good shape. Her apt is tiny. Like NYC tiny. It has a NY feel to it and is charming. There is no wasted space in the apt, no halways or foyers and has limited closets and storage. Unlike NY it doesn't cost her $2400 a month and is really quiete reasonable since it is in trendy Little Five Points.

Today we are having breakfast with friends and going to see an apt. Clio might move into. Tonight - dinner with her friends at their apt.

It feels really good to be with Clio. I will write more as the weekend moves along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Macclenny, and have for approx. two and a half years. i moved here from New Hampshire, and i could only laugh when reading about our parade...

now take that, add a few walmart semi's, old guys in tiny cars, and a float from every church in the general area, and thats the christmas parade...

its... something else. haha