January 11, 2007

A Day is a Day is a Day

Today is just another day. It will not stand out in my memory but will blend into the mass of days I have lived with no particular distinction. I guess that means I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. Putting one foot in front of the other. Going to work, doing chores, thinking, reading, talking when I must, listening, resting, eating, sleeping.

Tomorrow I will get up and do it again. Until about 2 pm. At 2:00 I will begin a 5 1/2 hour drive to Atlanta to visit with Clio, one of my all time favorite people on this planet. It will be good to see her and to talk and laugh, and gossip, and laugh some more. We have breakfast plans with some of her friends, we will look at an apt she is thinking of leasing, we will eat out and walk and chill out in her apt and sleep in and enjoy one another for the brief time we are together. We will probably reminisce about a time when she was much younger and we shared daily life together. I will remember the days I am with her, as I remember the last time I was with her and the time before that and before that.

I'm glad to have Clio in my life. I guess that's what kids do, they make days memorable and the older you get the more you need them to help add value and depth to your life. I have long regretted not having children. I have also long been grateful that I was never able to get pregnant, for the sake of the children. I was not fit for parenthood most of my adult life. While I still hold that to be true the sorrow of not having had children of my own is always there. But I have been gifted with children in my life. Clio has been in my life since 1983. Hazel has been in my life since 2003. And the children my agency serves have been the recipient of my work efforts since 1998.

No comments: