August 24, 2007

Words of the First Bardor Rinpoche

All my disciples who depend on me:
One: Don't call the three jewels to witness
Your rash declarations and schemes.
Two: Don't argue about tenets.
Three: Don't be obsessed with this life.
Four: Don't brag about anything you've done.
Five: Don't always talk about others' faults.
Six: Don't meditate on the difference between friends and enemies.
Seven: Don't be greatly attached to stuff.
Eight: Don't disregard causality.
Make these eight your constant yidams.

Other than this I have no advice.
If your devoted affection is not weak you are never
Separated for even an instant from your father guru.
We've met before; we'll meet again.
We'll keep on meeting as long as we live.

-from "Treasury of Eloquence: The Songs of Barway Dorje," translated by
Yeshe Gyamtso, KTD Publications, Woodstock, NY, p. 31

3 comments:

Nadiyya said...

An enemy is nothing but a disappointed friend.

Nadiyya said...

Suddenly it hit me... You are a shaumbra too. right?

Nadiyya said...

Yes, I have read a lot of tibetan wisdom myself and I find it beautiful and useful... But I find it hard to limit myself to ONE teacher or set of thoughts or rules, happy for you that you have found something that applies to you . Namasté, angel.