July 15, 2008

A visit from a Q

I had a lovely sobriety anniversary day yesterday. Friends remembered and told me so. I had a busy work day but lots of energy and good feeling all day. It was a good day.

It was preceded by a good weekend. By the time I got home from work Friday night I didn't feel too well. I had a headache off and on since Wednesday afternoon. The Q was in town and we had lunch together at India Restaurant. She looks great, and Andrea looks great and it was a pleasure to see them. I went back to work after lunch and slowly the ongoing headache returned. F and I chilled out, spent the evening watching the first 4 episodes of "The L Word" on a netflix DVD, and then went to bed.

Saturday I dragged myself through a series of chores, including going to KTC for some bookkeeping work (I had a severe headache at that point and could not practice.) Afterwards I went home and napped. I could have slept for hours on end but didn't. Again, F and I had a quiet evening. By Saturday evening the sharpness of my headache had dulled. I went to bed and read until 1 then fell into a deep sleep.

Alice B. Old decided I didn't need to sleep past 5:45. So I got up and enjoyed the morning quiet and no headache. I read, watched the news, did some on-line surfing, had breakfast with the dogs, talked to josh on line and then went out and shopped for groceries.

At noon the Q came over for brunch. F made wonderful blueberry pancakes and scrambled eggs. We had a pot of my favorite New Mexico Pinon coffee and chatted and caught up. As usual, we laughed, reminisced, and ate too much. After a while we moved into the den and settled into lazy boy chairs. The Q and I napped and F farted around with the animals. At 3:30 we left to go to Bruster's for ice cream and then dropped the Q at Andrea's house. It was a really lovely day.

It was fun to be with the Q again. I miss the Q and josh. I miss our weekend get togethers, dinners at each others houses, hours spent giggling in Borders or Barnes & Noble. Having the noodles and teckles all together in one room. But life changes and it's not a bad thing. They certainly seem to be much happier in MD.

F and I enjoy our quiet evenings together and the routine of our lives. We've settled into a comfortable and companionable lifestyle. We want for little, have everything we need, and desire just enough material comforts with our meager means to prioritize and set goals. We both agree that excess money is worth saving for trips rather than acquisitions. Being in the mountains, away from the city, quiet, relaxed, and creative, is worth the wait. We look forward to a time when we can return to the desert in NM and spend time making art and exploring. We'd like to own an RV at retirement time and spend months at a time in places we love.

But that's the future. And having 2 of our closest friends in the same city is the past. And it's ok. Today life is good as it is. It's different, but it's good.

No comments: