July 23, 2008

HOLY SMOKE!

Frankye and I watched a very good movie the other day. It was called Holy Smoke and starred Kate Winslet and Harvey Keitel. The film is about a young woman who goes to India (from Australia) and falls under the spell of a guru. Her family becomes alarmed and hires the best de-programmer America has to offer. The heart of the film is about the time the de-programmer and the young woman spend together challenging one another's life and belief assumptions.

I thought it was a powerful film. F did not, though she felt it was enjoyable and beautifully photographed, which it is. I related very much to the film and as a result I have had an on-going stream of memories just bombarding my mind. I feel like I'm living in a meteor shower of memories from my late teens to my early 20s. The memories are not disturbing, though that period of my life was. It's as if the memories are just pieces, fragments, floating, detached, and I am finally making sense of it all. With that has come a sense loss. I feel a sense of loss about opportunities that I didn't even know I had. I didn't reject them. I didn't know they were there. And that "unawareness" makes me sad, because if there is one thing that I can say I would do over again it would be that. I don't know that I would have taken any of the oportunities. I would just like to have known they were there.

No comments: