June 28, 2008

Moving On (again)

Today is our last day at the cottage. It's been a lovely week. Yesterday we decided to have another in day and did not venture out in the car at all. I enjoyed the in days as much as I enjoyed the days we went out and did things. I'm happy that F and I both recognized the need to do that and didn't push ourselves to do things just "because."

While inside I watched TV, wrote in my journal, read more of 13 Moons (loving it) took a nap, packed some stuff and loaded it in the car, spent several hours on the porch with F reading aloud, reading quietly, watching birds and listening to thunder echoing throughout the mountains. It was lovely time spent together.

Afterwards, I made us a dinner of fresh sliced tomato salad and blueberry pancakes made with rice flour. MMMMM. Delicious! F and I have shared the cooking and cleaning during the week. No one of us was burdened with the chores of daily living. It's been a very nice balance.


We have mostly stayed away from the news on TV. I have no interest in the presidential campaign at this point. I will not be watching every speech and every sound bite for the next 5 months. I will tune in again about 2 weeks before election day and make a decision then. I just don't want to deal with all the spin in the media. Here's a photo of F expressing her feelings. She's not an enthusiastic Obama supporter, but she is enthusiastically against McCain

Today we will make our way down to Greenville, SC. We will visit the sight of Todd's death. Frankye wants to mark the site with a stone. Then we will go to the cemetary and see his headstone for the first time. We'll be staying at a motel, coincidentally the same one we stayed in when we were in Greenville for Todd's funeral. This will be the hard part of the trip for F. That and having lunch with her daughter-in-law and her new husband. F was just told that Todd's youngest son, Jake, who is serving in the Air Force, and was in boot camp when his father died on his birthday, just received orders to go to Iraq. His company will be deploying this September. We knew this was inevitable but dreaded it.

That's all the news fit to print today.

No comments: