February 23, 2007

a paint box

I have many paint boxes. I have an oil paint box, an acrylic paint box, a gouache paint box, 2 large watercolor paint boxes, and about 5 small travel watercolor kits. Most of them have been gifts I received over the years.

When I am painting in little sketch books or my journal, I tend to use my Windsor Newton travel watercolor box whether I am traveling or at home. Until recently, I didn’t have a box that I carried with me everyday in my shoulder bag. About 2 months ago I made one out of an Altoids box. After a short time that too seemed too big.

I recently found amongst my things a little 2 ½” x 3” tin box that can hold 12 half-pans of watercolor firmly. The lid is hinged on one-side and when opened both sides lay flat. The lid can be used as a mixing palette. It’s very lightweight and convenient. It fits in my pencil case or slips into my pocket easily. I have a Niji mini waterbrush, 6" log when capped. Today I used it at work and there was no fuss and no muss. I like it.

No comments: