June 11, 2009

Savannah

This past weekend Frankye, her sister, Barbara, and I went to Savannah. Barbara and I had never been there before. It was hot and humid, and drizzled a few times. I've always thought of the deep south as the cradle of the civil war. Savannah is an exception. Not much of the war was fought there. That surprised me. I'm not a civil war buff but I am a colonial-revolutionary war period buff. I had no idea that Savannah had such a rich history from that time period and had spent a good part of the past century preserving many of the buildings and original squares that dot the historic district in the city.

We took a trolly tour of the city and I saw at least a dozen places I would like to visit close up. The old homes, live oaks, city parks, and even the colonial park cemetery, were all beautiful with a southern quietness to them. Many tourists around. Lots of girl scout troops visiting the home of the founder of the GSA. It was a fun visit. Good food. Good company. Exercize.

My brother is better, back to his life. Taking it slow. Sunday my mother fell and broke her shoulder. She is suffering. Very painful. My father is a saint. Burning karma at a rapid pace, he is. I will be going down next Friday, earlier if my mother needs surgery. We will know on Monday.

Onward and upward...

No comments: