October 16, 2008

A Foggy Morn


I woke up to a thick fog this morning. By 9 AM when it was still with us I decided to photograph the creek again. The fog lifted about an hour later. The creek is so lovely and peaceful.

It's been a busy week. A busy week at work. So much to do including working all day Saturday at a Conference we are co-sponsoring at JU (my alma mater). The weather has been nice. Getting cooler each day. Still more humidity than I like, but at least the temps have gone below 90o.

I watched the debate last night. I caught all 3 of them. I thought Obama did well. I thought McCain dug a deeper hole for himself. I'm experiencing the same thing with McCain that I experienced with John Kerry. I respected both men so much more from afar.

I read both of McCain's books and was impressed with his life, how he responded to situations he found himself in, and the decisions he made to deal with them. The more I've seen him during this campaign, and the more familiar he becomes to me the less I like him. I think he's nasty. I sense the rage in him, that feels dangerous to me. It does not come off as passion, it comes off as poorly concealed rage.

I was disappointed in who John Kerry was because he had been a hero of mine since he led the Viet Nam Veterans Against the War movement in the 60's and 70's. Then he went into the congress and was a clear liberal. I held in my mind for 30 years that I would one day cast a vote for him for President. What I didn't realize is that he had become an elitist follower in those 30 years. I wound up feeling that he, as was my hero-worship of him, stuck in the past. I voted for him in the 2004 election, but there was no joy in it. I cast a vote against Bush, and would have voted for almost anyone other than Bush.

I've had the opposite experience of Obama. My initial reaction to him was distrust. I felt he was too young, too inexperienced to actualize his rhetoric. I like his ideas and the things he sees as needing change but I like Hillary's solutions better than his, especially regarding health insurance. But he is who we have and so I've been listening to him more closely, watching his reaction to attacks, watching his growth in debates. I'm liking him more and more. Partly it's because I am paying more attention to him. Partly it's because I'm getting over my disappointment and anger about Hillary's loss. I want to like him. I am not oblivious to the meaningfulness of how he has motivated and inspired a whole new generation. In a way it frightens me. I remember when my generation was inspired to action and creative solutions to problems. I also remember when that inspiration died, literally, over and over again, until we were defeated. I hope that in picking up that dropped torch that Ted Kennedy spoke about, Obama can go the distance with it. I want him to succeed. He is our best hope.

No comments: