May 14, 2008

Returning

It is mid-May now. The Winter months have gone by quickly. The days have just rolled into weeks, which have rolled into months. I guess that's what happens when you're busy. I have been too busy.

Now that I've returned to blog, I haven't much to say. And perhaps that's why I've stayed away for 2 months from blogging. I haven't had anything to say. I'm too busy doing, and when I'm not, I'm trying to have quiet restful time. I don't always succeed.

When I left off blogging in January, I was very taken up with the Democatic primaries. I have spent most of this time very engaged in watching the process. I've maintained a commitment to Sen Clinton despite the likelihood of her not getting the nomination from the Democratic party. I am still unsettled about Sen. Obama. In Nov I will have 4 choices: vote for Sen Clinton for President, or for Sen McCain, or not vote for anyone, or vote for Sen Obama. I might not know exactly which one I will do until election day.

I have done no artwork beyond doodling in my journal in this time period. I miss it but have not had the energy to do any. When I've had downtime I've been too tired to do anything but rest. So much lost opportunity. A casualty of age, I think. But perhaps it's also the gift of age. What's wrong with just being? I put on myself that I should be "doing" when I need only to just be.

In this time period I've read a number of books. Several mysteries, the newest Robert Parker Jesse Stone book, the latest in the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series, The Nine by Jeffrey Toobin, and most recently, Pico Iyer's new book on H.H. Dalai Lama called The Open Road. I've recently ordered a few used books for very little money on-line. One by Peter Matthiessen, one by Rick Fields about the history of Buddhism in the West, and another one I can't remember right now.

I've been enjoying reading, doing a daily crossword puzzle or two, and playing scrabble on line. Those things, meditation, thinking, working, practice, and chanting, are how I have spent my time. Occassional family visits, time with my friend Lori, Dwight, my animals, activities with Frankye. And that's it. Our friends moved last year and they are ensconsed in their new lives. We keep in touch but gone are the weekly lunches or dinners out. Gone are the afternoons at Borders reading magazines, giggling, drinking coffee and eating sweets. Gone are the dinners at each others houses with all the teckels in tow. I miss them but am very pleased at the satisfaction they feel for the life they have now.

So that's my blog. I hope to write more often now that I've started again.

2 comments:

little cub said...

My dear friend K the T,

Yes, I/we are happy and settled in up here. But nothing can replace those special times we've had together.

Maybe when things calm down a bit you'll tell me to send you a plane ticket and come see us. The teckels miss Uncle K the T. So do I.

l.c.

FRANKYE said...

Nice blog. I see I am not the first to leave a comment. Was I also not the first to find out that you were blogging again?
I like the new banner and title too. I think they are very well done.