January 2, 2008

There's Always Room For Jello

The mind, my mind, is a really weird thing. In the course of a day, hundreds, if not thousands, of words, images, phrases, cross my mind. Some of them are so nonsensical, like the title of this blog. Some of them are horrifying, like remembering an awful time in my life, thinking someone is going to die or a plane will crash, or something equally tragic and painful. Sometimes it's a song lyric....

When I as younger
so much younger
than today,
I never needed
anybody's help
in any way.

And now my life
has changed
in oh so many ways,
My independence seems
to vanish in the haze.


There's no reason for me to have thought of this song. I haven't heard it in a long time. It's the opposite of my experience. I don't know why it popped into my head. But there it was.

I have no explanation for many of the things that come into my head. It's like being on a long train ride and looking out the window. The train is moving and the scenery becomes a blur unless I focus on something. Even if I spend a second with it, I will get a clearer picture. It will be something I am aware of.

That's kind of how my mind is. This constant whirring blur, and occassionally something will catch my attention, and I will spend some time with it, until something else catches my attention. While all this is going on I am either eating, working, thinking, watching tv, talking, listening, playing a video game, driving... Sometimes, several of these at once. So, like I said, there's always room for jello.

"Help" lyrics by Lennon/McCartney, published by Northern Songs, Ltd.

No comments: