June 1, 2006

"It Was 39 Years Ago Today...

...Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play."

It's hard for me to believe it is 39 years ago since I first heard this album. But it is, Blanche. Oy, I'm getting old!

I love this album, still. And I loved it when it came out. In a word, what distinguished this music from other music was that it was deep. The songs were creative, not just boy/girl I love you.

There was Within You, Without You, a thoughtful and philosophical song with Indian instuments and influence; Lovely Rita, a love song about adults; A Day In The Life, almost epic in it's length and the stories told; She's Leaving Home, a teenage lament thought to be about an abortion; and the title song, a real catchy rocking tune.

I loved all the songs. They were so original, so different than anything else being done at the time. It was a work of art, not just a product.

I couldn't let the day go by without recounting a fond joyous memory of my youth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just brought back good memories for me as well. How can it be 39 years ago???????????

Lori