June 6, 2006

Don't Watch

I was watching a program on the origins of the archaelogical phenomena created by the ancients. The speculation was that these monumental structures and land maps were built by and/or for extra terrestials.

A few days later I watched a program on asteroids hitting the earth. The focus of this show was that an asteroid was responsible for the annihilation of dinosaurs and other prehistoric beings. The show also speculated on a future asteroid hitting the coast of southern California and its horrific aftermath. The bet was that the human species would survive because we are resilient and plentiful.

As I sat there I just kept thinking about what the purpose of life is. Not just life, but my life. Why am I here? Why am I here now? Have I been here before? Am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing? Is there such a thing as "supposed to"?

I thought about the civilization our society has developed. I thought about the way we have structured our values and how we spend our time on earth. I thought about how ludicrous the way we live is. I thought about how long I'd been asking these questions and how long I've not had definitive answers.

While the questions are valid, they are mostly rhetorical. No one has the answer. Some people believe they do, but those answers are based soley on faith. That would be easy to buy into if there weren't so many faiths, with so many different answers. The most common information given by religions is how to live on this earth, not why we live on this earth.

While I am not a believer in creationism, I'm not sure that Darwinism is the only other viable option. Not that I have any theories myself, I'm not that smart. But there are many smart people now and there have been many more in the past yet the only two theories that are still standing are creationism and evolution.

If there's a purpose to this blog it may be an advisory not to watch pseudo-documentaries that remind me that no one has the answers.


Above artwork by Kelli Bickman: blue buddha
30x66 acrylic on paper
blessed by H.H. the XVIIth Karmapa

No comments: