March 14, 2006

What a Dump!

Bette Davis said "what a dump!" was her favorite movie line. I don't think I ever saw the movie she actualy said it in but I did see her do a parody of her own performance of that line when she was between 80 and death.

The line comes to mind after several days of hearing tragic news about the war in Iraq, the death of Slobodan Milosevic, the murder of an American hostage in Iraq, the genocide in Sudan-Chad which no one is doing anything about, the AIDS pandemic in Africa, the "spin" our American President puts on it all, and the total incompetetance and lack of concern of the United States Congress. All these things make me feel this world is a dump!

I cant remember a time in my life that I have been this disgusted with politics and the American democratic process. Angry? Yes, but not disgusted. Spurred to action? Yes, but not disgusted enough to walk away from it all and not give it another thought. Right now I am at the point of doing just that. I am so disgusted (I can't think of a better word) with the level of dishonesty and bullshit being spouted on all media outlets by the people who are entrusted with resolving problems. All I see is that these poor stewards are creating more problems rather than solving some that are unavoidable.

I think in the old days - you know, when everything was in sepia tones - people didn't know so much about what was happening in every corner of the world and they were able to focus more on what was happening in front of their own faces. As overwhelming as personal and local problems can be, when you have them and the burden of millions being slaughtered several thousand miles away, it can be numbing to the point of detachment from your own humanity. The sadness and anger and grief can be so overwhelming as to render one useless. Useless. I guess that's how I feel. A long believer in one voice-one vote can change the world I no longer believe that is true. The dump we call our world is bigger than my one vote and one voice.

This is a rather pointless blog. I just needed to rant a bit about my disgust (again, the best choice)with the news of the world.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better!