December 19, 2005

Monasticism

I received my quarterly copy of "Contemplation and Action," published by the Merton Foundation. In it was a fund-raising letter by Abbot, Fr. Damien Thompson. In the letter Fr. Damien explains that the Thomas Merton Foundation has..."a grand vision that is rooted in a monastic tradition that helped transform a troubled and failing European civilization 1500 years ago and that has the power to do the same in our time."

This is an interesting assertion and one that rings true to me. In the past thirty to forty years there has been an increase of interest in religions with a monastic tradition. Eastern religions, Hinduism and Buddhism in particular, have seen increases in the number of temples and churches in America and many different eastern faith denominations have established monasteries for training and housing monks and nuns. Roman Catholic monasteries are still scattered throughout the United States, though their resident numbers have dwindled.

The tradition of monasticism is ancient, having begun in Hinduism thousands of years ago (Hinduism is said to be at least 5000 years old), in Buddhism at least 2500 years ago (Gautama Buddha established a monastic order), and in Christianity at least 1700 years ago (Pachomius established a Christian monastic community ca. 270 A.D). Silent retreats, week-end long, week-long, month-long, and longer, are fairly popular today and are offered in both Christian, Hindu and Buddhist traditions.

Fr. Damien's letter explains that Merton understood the deep and sometimes prophetic understanding of life was a gift of his contemplative life. In Entering the Silence: Becoming a Monk and Writer, Merton writes:

When your tongue is silent, you can rest in the silence of the forest. When your imagination is silent, the forest speaks to you, tells you of its unreality and of the Reality of God. But when your mind is silent, then the forest suddenly becomes magnificently real and blazes transparently with the Reality of God. For now I know that the creation, which first seems to reveal Him in concepts, then seems to hide Him by the same concepts, finally is realed in Him, in the Holy Spirit. And we who are in God find ourselves united in Him with all that springs from Him. This is prayer and this is glory!
There is a part of me that yearns for a quiet, alone, comtemplative life. I know I romaticize it and my fantasy of what it's like is probably unreal. But still, the desire is there, even if it is just a fantasy. Could I walk away from the world? Yes, I think I can at this point in my life. Could I do a three year Tibetan Buddhist retreat? NO WAY! I have no desire to actually be a religious monk. I only want to live quietly and peacefully in a world that doesn't demand so much of me.

Some Merton websites:
Thomas Merton Center of Pittsburg
The Abbey of Gethsemani
Thomas Merton Books
The Thomas Merton Center
Thomas Merton, Monk and Poet

No comments: