November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving

"Let us rise up and be thankful,
for if we didn’’t learn a lot today,
at least we learned a little,
and if we didn’’t learn a little,
at least we didn’’t get sick,
and if we got sick,
at least we didn’’t die;
so, let us be thankful."
~The Buddha


Yes, I’m thankful to be alive, and certainly, as in Buddhist tradition, I am thankful to have been born human. (I might want to come back next time as Christie’s little son teckel, who lives an adored and envious life.)

  • I’m thankful for many things.
  • I’m thankful for my partner, Frankye, and our home
  • I’m thankful for my extended family, Christie, Sue, Lori, Lin and Clio
  • I’m thankful to still have my parents and siblings, and their families
  • I’m thankful for the animals that live with me and live around our home
  • I’m thankful for the job I have, the people we serve, the integrity of my co-workers
  • I’m thankful for having been born and live as a free American
  • I’m thankful that all my physical needs are met and my desires as well
  • I'm thankful to have found the Buddhist path and have a Sangha with whcih to practice
  • I’m thankful that I have the capacity to learn and live a better life because of it
  • I’m thankful for the art that stimulates my mind
  • I’m thankful for the music of the Beatles, which delights my ears and warms my heart

So, it’s Thanksgiving and I’m thankful, dammit! Now leave me alone.

No comments: