November 13, 2005

Leaving NC

Second to the last day of vacation. It went so fast and seemed so long at the same time. I'm always surprised at how long I feel the anticipation of a future vacation, and how quickly I get over being on vacation. I'm usually ready to get back to work after a week. I miss the dogs, my house, my routine, my job.

This has been a good vacation for me. Not always comfortable or comforting. The quiet and serenity of the mountains gave me an opportunity to stop and do a self-assessment. Very timely, as I also had my 54th birthday while we were away. I have to say I didn't always like what I found and saw about myself. One day in my journal my only comment was...everywhere I look I see only my own self-loathing. Kind of a play on the Hindu saying, "Everywhere I look I see only my own desires." I'll be writing more about this in future posts. It's been good for me to do this and go through this and to make some decisions about the course of my life.

Today we are in Atlanta. We are going to the High Museum to see the Andrew Wyeth restrospective. I'm not a big fan of respresentative art but I was touched and impressed by his Helga paintings that I viewed some 10 years ago with friend Lee at the Norton Gallery of Art. I think I'm more open to figurative art right now. Maybe it's the influence of learning Thangka painting. Not sure. I'm looking forward to seeing the exhibit, and looking forward to getting back home tomorrow.

- photos of NC and Kess and Frankye © 2005 by C.Cripps
- "Braids", 1979 Artist: Andrew Wyeth Medium: Tempera on Masonite © AM Art, Inc Image Courtesy: The Mint Museums

No comments: