November 24, 2008

Holiday Week


Thanksgiving week. Am I grateful? You betcha!

But I'm scared too. I know just enough about economics to understand what dire straits the world and the USA are in right now. I know just enough to know that this isn't going to change overnight, regardless of who the President is. I know just enough to know that this will not turn around on January 20th, but will take 3 - 7 years before there is real relief. And sadly, I know just enough to know that I am on the wrong side of the equation to not be in trouble along with millions of other Americans. That said, I'm still grateful, for many things.

I can't believe how quickly this year has gone by. Late November already. It will soon be 2009. Each day, I put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Except Sunday's. On Sunday's I try not to take any steps. I sometimes succeed.

The weather here in Jax has been chilly by northern standards, very cold by Florida standards. It's nice during the day, freezing in the house at night. We are trying to keep the electric bill down, so we've been layering in the house and using blankets in the den to keep warm. Two days ago I dragged out a big blanket that a little cub keeps here and me and the dogs have been taking shelter of it.

Wednesday afternoon F and I will make our way to south Florida to spend the holidays with my family. I'm looking forward to it, but also looking forward to it being over. The rest of the holidays will be stress free. We have no $$, and we won't be doing gifts this year. We are in the majority on this one, I think. I feel no stress to spend. I feel no stress about not being able to give to friends and family. Something changes as you age. So many things fall away. And it's so ok when they do.

I will end with this last thought that I read in an email this week, "We have no time for impatience."

No comments: